• zInternationalStudents Blog

  • Saturday, January 19, 2019

  • Determine If Your Foreign Exchange Student Insurance Meets Federal Requirements

    Filed Under: Health Insurance

A foreign exchange student insurance policy is an important requirement for any person who holds a J-1 visa in the United States. A J-1 visa is given to foreigners who are, or will be staying, in the United States for an education exchange program.

It is important to note that the insurance has to meet Federal requirements in order to be accepted. Thus, if you are planning to get one from an insurance company that is not affiliated with the university that you will be attending, make sure to take note of these federal requirements.

The insurance should provide medical benefits of not less than $50,000 per illness or accident. It should provide repatriation of the remains worth $7,500. It should cover expenses related to medical evacuation worth $10,000.

There are also certain ratings that the providing insurance company must have. It would be best to consult the university regarding the necessary requirements for a foreign exchange student insurance policy that will meet all the requirements of the program.

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

International Student Insurance (requires student status)
Visitor Insurance (does not require student status)