• zInternationalStudents Blog

  • Saturday, January 19, 2019

Lately, exchange programs have gained popularity throughout the college and high school communities. Many of the Universities in the United States sponsor and host at least one international exchange program. Exchange Student Insurance provides health insurance coverage for US citizens participating in an international exchange program.

A number of US universities have branches or close ties to academic institutions in countries such as Germany, France, Italy, or the United Kingdom. Purchasing Insurance directly from the university or exchange program can often be expensive and an annoyance to deal with. The Exchange Student Insurance plan offers coverage for any sudden or unexpected medical expenses.

To be eligible for an exchange program insurance you need to have a J-1 visa or be a J-2 dependent. As J-1 visa health insurance requirements states, the insurance plan must provide at least $50,000 worth of Medical coverage per accident and deductibles can’t exceed $500.

While buying health insurance plans always check their A.M. Best rating and Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating. Also check if they have an online purchase/renewal option.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

International Student Insurance (requires student status)
Visitor Insurance (does not require student status)