• zInternationalStudents Blog

  • Saturday, January 19, 2019

  • Exchange Student Insurance Requirements

    Filed Under: Health Insurance

Exchange student insurance is specifically designed for students participating in either international programs or cultural exchange programs. These categories of students are referred to as the J1 exchange visitors or J2 dependents in America. The insurance covers the insured for medical expenses that may be incurred during the study period.

One of the major requirements of the insurance is the ability to provide medical coverage to the insured. The insurer is responsible for paying for any illness of any accidents that the client may suffer. In case of severe illness or accidents, the insurance must provide for the capability of sending the insured back to their home country according to the doctor’s advice. The insurance must also provide for repatriation benefits in case the insured dies while studying abroad.

One of the plans in exchange student insurance is the visitor medical insurance. This plan covers both pre-existing medical conditions the insured might be suffering from, as well as any other conditions that may arise in the course of the contract.

However short the exchange period may take, the risks can still be high and care must be taken not to overlook the need for this insurance lest you miss the benefits associated with them. Never assume that your home university or the foreign university will take care of your medical expenses. You definitely need an exchange student insurance cover in order to be safe.

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

International Student Insurance (requires student status)
Visitor Insurance (does not require student status)