• zInternationalStudents Blog

  • Saturday, January 19, 2019

Have you recently decided to participate in an international exchange program through the university or school you are attending? More and more exchange programs and opportunities are offered as ties grow stronger between American universities and academic institutions in Europe. Exchange Student Insurance will cover any unforeseen medical expenses that may arise when you are overseas.

International exchange programs entail a temporary exchange of two students from academic institutions located in different countries. Upon arriving in the foreign country the student will either stay in an on-campus housing facility or more likely with a host family. Exchange programs aim to totally immerse students into a different culture while providing college or high school credit. Exchange programs generally last 1 full academic term.

The majority of international exchange programs require some proof of health insurance. While the university or school sponsoring the exchange program may provide health insurance, such health care plans are generally expensive and unaffordable. Purchasing health insurance indirectly from a third party often proves to be cheaper and easier to deal with.

To be eligible for Exchange Student Insurance, the student must have a J-1 visa or be a J-2 dependent. Furthermore to meet visa health insurance requirements, a plan must cover at least $50,000 worth of Medical benefits per accident or illness and have an A.M. Best rating of “A-” or better.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

International Student Insurance (requires student status)
Visitor Insurance (does not require student status)