• zInternationalStudents Blog

  • Saturday, February 16, 2019

  • Studying in Spain - A Checklist for Exchange Students

    Filed Under: Health Insurance
Spain is a popular study abroad destination for many American students. The country offers a rich cultural history that students are excited to explore, and many U.S. students have taken Spanish since high school, so they find it easier to communicate in Spain than in many other potential study abroad destinations. If you're considering traveling to Spain, here's a checklist of what'll need to take care of, including housing, study abroad insurance, and course registration.

You'll need to decide on your housing accommodations for the semester you spend abroad. Your university will offer housing, especially if you're studying abroad through a program in which your school has a campus in Spain or you're participating in an exchange program. This will allow you to stay in an apartment by yourself or with other students, or your university may recruit host families that you can stay with. This option gives you a great chance to get acquainted with the country with your host family acting as your cultural and geographic guides. You can also try finding your own apartment or house to live in, through this could be more difficult and more expensive.

Next, you'll want to be sure you have some kind of medical insurance. Your current plan probably only works in your home country, so you can either choose the university's international insurance plan, or you can purchase a study abroad insurance program from an independent insurer. This is often a cheaper and more convenient option.

Finally, you'll need to determine your course schedule. Your school may have a predefined curriculum for you to study during your semester abroad, or you may have more freedom choosing your schedule. It's always a good idea to take some courses that relate to Spanish history or culture while studying abroad, so that you may even further immerse yourself in the experience. Follow these steps and you'll be sure to get the most out of your stud abroad experience.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

International Student Insurance (requires student status)
Visitor Insurance (does not require student status)