• zInternationalStudents Blog

  • Saturday, February 16, 2019

To study in the USA, one needs an F1 visa which confirms his/her student status. An international immigrant is considered to be a student only for the period during which the F1 visa is valid. An F1 comes with many benefits, one of them being that the student qualifies for a foreign student medical insurance. Such a policy is designed specifically for students, which means that the premiums, coverage and benefits are designed with this demographic in mind.

The policy covers health care expenditure during the period of one's studies in the kind of environment that a student is expected to live in. The risks covered are based on an understanding of the special needs of those spending time in universities/schools/colleges; participating in sports activities, study trips (with special riders); etc.

The policy is purchased with the expressed understanding that it will cover a student with a valid study visa. It is essential for students to understand that if and when they either apply for or receive a permanent residency in the USA, the policy will stop the coverage. If you are considering applying for PR, know this fact, and buy other forms of health insurance too. Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

International Student Insurance (requires student status)
Visitor Insurance (does not require student status)